How to record your Blood Pressure
- Be seated for 5 minutes, relaxed and not moving or speaking.
- Adjust the chair height until your heart is level with the monitor.
- Ensure no tight clothing constricts the arm. The monitor will work if you are wearing a thin sleeved shirt, blouse or dress BUT PLEASE TAKE OFF any thick items of clothing such as a jacket, thick jumper or cardigan.
- Insert your left arm into the monitor. Please ensure that you insert your arm up to the shoulder with your palm facing upwards, gently resting the back of your hand on the arm/hand rest as per the illustration.
- Relax and press the START/STOP button. Remain still.
- When the measurement is complete, the cuff will automatically release and become loose at which time you can remove your arm.
- Please wait for the print out to stop printing. DO NOT PULL the paper. Gently tear off your reading and retain this ready to give it the Doctor, Nurse or Receptionist.
- Repeat three times if possible and record measurement.
WHAT IS HIGH? (NICE GUIDELINES)
Mild hypertension - greater than 140/90 mm
Moderate hypertension - greater than 160/100 mm Hg
Severe hypertension - greater than 180/110 mm Hg or higher